Don’t miss a thing by getting the Daily Star’s biggest headlines straight to your inbox!
A quick-thinking postman spotted smoke coming through a letterbox and prevented a fire from gutting a house.
Alan Condon, 54, was relaxing in his garden in Netherton, Dudley, the West Midlands, when he heard the Royal Mail worker speaking with neighbours.
The postman had just spotted a fire in one of the properties after seeing smoke coming from a letterbox.
Three fire engines were dispatched at 12.42pm on Saturday, July 17.
Alan told the Liverpool Echo: "[The fire service] got through the door and it was a pan on the stove with no water and chicken in it would you believe? That's what it was.
"The fact is, if it wasn't for the [postman's] quick thinking and intervention, the house would have gone up in flames since there was no water left in the pan."
Alan added: "I popped my head over the fence and I could see people standing by the house.
"The postman shouted 'do you have the neighbour's number? There's a fire in the house' I said 'unfortunately not'.
"He noticed the smoke, somehow from the letterbox, whether he was posting a letter or not. He looked through the letterbox and saw quite a bit of smoke and that's when he raised the alarm."
The postman waited with the neighbours until the fire service arrived.
A spokesperson for the Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service said: "We attended a property on Brecon Avenue, Netherton, on Saturday July 17. Crews were alerted at 12.42pm and on scene at 12.49pm. Three fire engines attended.
"Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the property a fire in the kitchen of the property. Once extinguished, crews used a positive pressure fan to ventilate the property.
"No one was injured and the fire is believed to have started accidentally. The kitchen suffered light smoke damage. Crews left the scene at 13.34pm."
To keep up to date with all the latest news stories, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.
- Royal Mail
Source: Read Full Article